School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies
Number of Positions: 1
Position Title: Graduate Communications Co-ordinator
Appointment Type: Limited Term
Hours of work: Minimum 35 hours/week
Salary Range: $53,235 - $64,644
Posting Date: February 13, 2020
Closing Date: February 21, 2020
Job Summary: The communications coordinator will be responsible for assisting to plan, coordinate and develop a wide-range of communications related to graduate programs and services. Using various communication channels (print, web, digital, social media etc.) this role will assist in fulfilling strategic and targeted communications across a number of functional areas, such as: admissions and registration; scholarships and awards; postdoctoral fellows; thesis and program completion requirements; as well as graduate student engagement.
Nature of work: As an integral member of the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (SGPS), reporting to the Manager, the communications coordinator will coordinate and operationalize all aspects of the unit’s communication plan. The communications coordinator will be a key factor in ensuring communications are comprehensive, consistent and reflective of university key branding and marketing. Providing editorial services to SGPS, as well as assistance to various departments throughout the university. This position will also assist with the planning, execution and communication related to SGPS events.
- Informed by guiding principles and strategic context, the incumbent provides input into, and ensures delivery of, the SGPS recruitment and communications plans.
- Creates, edits, and delivers communications for SGPS. This includes writing and editing of promotional and informational material (e.g. emails, viewbooks, letters, newsletters, brochures, fact sheets, targeted mail, forms and publications) in various formats (print, digital, MyCampus, CMS, and social media).
- Provides communications support and guidance for a range of areas, to ensure consistency, branding and accessibility (AODA).
- Responsible for the SGPS website, including content, organization and messaging. This position will also provide support to other CMS contributors within SGPS.
- Provides content and support for projects, event programs etc., and coordinates messaging for print and social media.
- Utilizes online tools (HubSpot, Hootsuite, etc.) to deliver dynamic communications to recruit both domestic and international graduate students.
- Develops and maintains a targeted content marketing strategy that is an integral part of the recruitment plan by anchoring the online presence for the prospective student base. This includes, but is not limited to, maintaining lists of prospective students and applicants, creating landing pages, managing event registration forms, integration of CRM on relevant webpages and datamining online analytics.
- Assists with tracking and archiving all communications, researching trends and using data to support future communication initiatives.
- Provide communication and logistical support for events in collaboration with other members of the team.
- Represent the unit in-person at university events, including but not limited to: Open House(s), Ontario Universities Fairs, Graduate Reception and others as required.
- Monitor communications-related expenses for the unit.
- Other related duties as determined by the unit management team.
- Exceptional writing ability, including the ability to be creative and write in a variety of styles (e.g. straight news, promotional, advertising, human interest, etc.) on tight deadlines
- Superior organizational/multi-tasking and problem-solving skills
- Strong research, interviewing, fact-checking and proofreading skills
- Solid grasp of CP style
- Excellent understanding of media relations practices
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills with an emphasis on presentation to various stakeholders
- Ability to develop and execute projects, including the ability to adapt to changing priorities
- Client-centric and thorough understanding of target audience expectations
- Ability to work effectively and professionally with people at all levels both inside and outside of the university
- Exceptional initiative and ability to work independently with minimal direction but also participate in a collaborative team environment
- Proficiency in using advanced features associated with the current versions of all Microsoft Office programs is required
- Flexibility to work irregular hours as required to meet objectives and/or attend events
- Strong technical and multi-media skills
- An undergraduate degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, English or related field.
- Verification of Academic credentials may be required
- Experience with client relationship management programs and branded social media in multiple platforms.
- Experience with content management systems and knowledge of html preferred.
- Knowledge of the graduate post-secondary education system preferred.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should submit in electronic format a covering letter and their resume. Applications will be accepted until February 13, 2020 or until a suitable candidate is found. We appreciate all applications received; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position falls within the bargaining unit represented by the Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU) and will be subject to the terms and conditions of the collective agreement between the university and the OPSEU. To the extent that policies are not included in the collective agreement, employment will also be governed by the university’s policies which may also be found on our website https://ontariotechu.ca and which may be amended from time-to-time.
Ontario Tech University is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates, while especially encouraging applications from women, members of visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Ontario Tech University respects people's different needs and therefore will take all reasonable steps to ensure accommodation for applicants where appropriate. If you require an accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please notify the Human Resources Department. For more information about the universities policies for accommodating employees with disabilities please review the university’s Accessibility Policy