Title: Nurse Consultant
Department: Communicable Diseases, Emergency Preparedness and Response
Job ID: 20-0071
Posting Date: August 2, 2020
Closing Date: August 16, 2020
The Nurse Consultant position provides specialized public health nursing and communicable disease subject matter expertise, in alignment with the strategic priorities of Public Health Ontario.
- Provide specialized nursing subject matter expertise in the planning and management of a sound, innovative science-based program and provide input into developing and implementing public health strategies in the field of communicable diseases.
- Leads and contributes to the development, dissemination, delivery and evaluation of a range of unit initiatives including educational and professional development programs, best practices, tools, protocols, guidelines and resources to build capacity across the health care continuum in support of immunization science, as well as a comprehensive and systematic approach to identify, reduce and mitigate the risk and incidence of communicable diseases.
- Assist with the review of scientific and technical literature and provide advice and field support relating to communicable disease issues to internal and external stakeholders.
- Respond to inquiries from stakeholders on a wide variety of relevant issues and provide timely guidance and advice based on current evidence and best practices.
- Provides scientific advice or technical support as part of PHO program evaluations to assess the effectiveness of programs and public health interventions.
- Contribute to the preparation of scientific publications and technical reports to communicate trends, investigative findings and the broader public health community as appropriate.
- Keep abreast of the latest research and developments in area of specialty within PHO and at other institutions.
- Represent PHO and promote its mandate and strategic initiatives through presentations, attendance at conferences and other activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills-
- Thorough professional nurse subject matter expertise and knowledge of communicable disease prevention and control best practice standards.
- Knowledge of the operations and authority of the various local stakeholders in the immunization system, with a thorough understanding of relevant regulations and regulatory trends in epidemiology, public health and public health nursing, acute care, long-term care and surveillance.
- Excellent knowledge of and expertise in communicable diseases including understanding of current theory, research and public health surveillance and epidemiology
- Excellent interpersonal, leadership, team building and relationship building skills in order to interact well with all stakeholders, maintain effective linkages with all levels of contacts; proven ability to work as a collaborative team member with a track record in developing professional networks/partnerships.
- Ability to facilitate groups, deliver formal learning/training sessions and presentations using adult learning techniques within a variety of settings for professional staff.
- Good oral communication skills with an ability to initiate and model positive change.
Education and Experience-
- Bachelor's degree in nursing.
- Registered with the College of Nurses of Ontario, in the Registered Nurse category.
- Three to five years' experience in the field of public health nursing in a communicable disease program area.
- A masters' degree in public health (i.e. MPH), nursing or related discipline is preferred.
Attributes and Competencies-
- Highly organized, with an ability to determine priorities and plan activities while performing a variety of different responsibilities with conflicting deadlines, particularly to determine the importance and urgency of issues and to respond effectively to fluctuating work load demands in a fast paced environment.
- Strong written communication and editorial skills in order to prepare briefing notes, reports, letters, presentations, educational sessions and a wide variety of other materials.
- Proficient with various computer systems and software programs including: word processing, spreadsheet and presentation applications (MS Office).
- Ability to work independently and on own with minimal supervision.