Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We’re a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that’s critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
An opportunity exists for a talented and ambitious Intermediate Hydrogeologist to join our team in the Thunder Bay, ON office. The successful candidate will thrive in an environment with diverse projects and enjoys working on multi-disciplinary scopes of work.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Perform soil and groundwater assessment and remediation
- Conduct hydrogeological assessments for proposed developments
- Evaluate contaminant hydrogeology
- Carry out environmental and hydrologic assessments and streamflow evaluations
- Perform groundwater supply development and groundwater protection and management
- Act as Project Coordinator including the performance of data S analysis and interpretation, and report preparation
- Manage tasks and projects according to approved scopes of work, and deliver quality reports on schedule and within budget
- Contribute to and lead business development activities, including proposals, pre-qualifications, and relationship building with clients and prospective clients
- Interact and interface with clients and environmental regulators
- Prepare documentation, including detailed design drawings and specifications, and project permitting
- Provide supervision, training, technical direction and mentoring to more junior staff
- Participate in Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) Policies, Procedures, Standards and Guidelines in the execution of all work
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Organized and results-driven
- Confidently demonstrates initiative
- Capable of independent action to make informed decisions
- Excellent team-building and management capabilities
- Thorough understanding of Ontario environmental legislation, guidelines, and protocols with preference given to those with federal legislation experience
- Demonstrated strong oral and written communication skills
- Proven attention to detail and problem-solving abilities in various settings
- Ability to work under pressure and within short timelines
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite of software (e.g. Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.)
- Valid Driver’s Licence
Education and Experience
An Honour’s or bachelor’s degree in Geoscience, Hdrogeology, or related Environmental Sciences or post-secondary education specializing in groundwater supply evaluation, development, and protection is required.
A Master’s degree specializing in hydrogeology, groundwater supply evaluation, development, and protection is an asset.
A minimum of 5 years of consulting experience, directly related to Hydrogeology is required.
Currently hold or eligible to register for Professional Engineer Ontario or Professional Geoscientist Ontario licence.
Familiarity with local practice and markets is considered an asset.
This position is a combination of office work and fieldwork. Must be able to lift and move items and equipment up to 50 lbs. Must be able to travel across northwestern Ontario for fieldwork programs.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities, and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Hydrogeological Scientist
Primary Location: Canada-Ontario-Thunder Bay
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Req ID: 200001D4